Saturday, May 3, 2014

Odd days in May

During lunch today, we were talking about how tomorrow, May 4, is Star Wars day, a play on words on the classical phrase in Star Wars, "May the force be with you" (May the fourth be with you), and is a day when Star Wars fans celebrate all things Star Wars.

As a kid, I have always been a fan of the Star Wars movies.  My brother and I were very much into special effects and very often we would go to the book store to buy magazines dedicated to the art of special effects in movies and we were members of the Star Wars fan club. We learned how the third movie was initially called "Revenge of the Jedi", but was changed later to "Return of the Jedi" because revenge seems uncharacteristic for a Jedi.  The very first movie that I saw in a movie theater in the US was "Return of the Jedi" (The original theatrical run, not the special edition in the late 1990's).  Many years later I introduced my wife to Star Wars by watching the special edition trilogy with her in the movie theater.

While pondering all this, I turned to my son and said, "Shouldn't any odd day in May (May 1, May 3, etc.) be called 'The Hunger Games Day'?".  There are 16 such days in May, so that is a lot of celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment